Wednesday, March 9, 2011

What Fat Tuesday looked like at my house...

I never really knew what Mardi Gras was growing up. Having gone to a Catholic School they were pretty set on shielding us from tales of bead throwing and public drunkenness. But every year, the day before Ash Wednesday we had what was known as Carnival Day. This was by far my favorite day of the year because it was the one day that our usually structured school day was completely undone. We were allowed to come out of uniform and every square inch of the school was turned into a playground for the day. The best part was that you could roam free. Nothing was really "scheduled". So if you wanted to play games in the gym all day and eat hot dogs, then so be it!

It wasn't until High School that I put 2 and 2 together and realized that Carnival was our version of Fat Tuesday. You'd think that a SCHOOL would at least try and explain why we were allowed this one day of letting go and kicking loose, but they didn't. Or perhaps they did and I was too hopped up on candy and hot dogs to listen. Either way, it wasn't really until College that I gained my true understanding of Fat Tuesday.
And like any college student, I took full advantage of this new found understanding.
Though I was never fortunate enough to go to the real 'Nawlins Mardi Gras, I did attend some killer wannabes.
I have a whole collection of beads to prove it.

This year however, Fat Tuesday looked a little different.
Mostly because it snuck up on  me.
I don't really pay much attention the calendar these days. In fact most days I'm not entirely sure what day of the week it is.
So it wasn't until I read every ones Facebook status that even I realized it was Fat Tuesday.

Who says social media is a waste of time??
If it weren't for Twitter and Facebook, I'd miss all sorts of important events.
But I digress.

Since I had they day off, I thought it would be fun to cook a nice dinner and have a great dessert. So before Jack's 15 month old well visit, we stopped at the store.
Which was out of everything I needed.
Slightly miffed, I decided on a different recipe and was able to, thankfully, find all the needed ingredients.

Then we went to Jack's well visit which was a sheer nightmare.

I won't go into details, but we've been having some problems with our Pedi's office as of late. Our regular doctor has been MIA and they have been rescheduling appointments and pulling some shady stuff lately. At this particular appointment, they kept us waiting in the room for over an hour. Which was especially hilarious because they gave me a handout to read while we waited. It was tips for parenting a toddler.
Tip #2: Keep trips short because toddlers this age have short attention spans.
I was fuming and wanted desperately to scream at someone but knowing that these were the people that were about to give my son his shots, I decided to hold my tongue. You want those people to be as happy as possible, right?

That appointment made my otherwise pleasant day unravel.

Thankfully, dinner turned out OK despite some minor mishaps.
I wish I could say the same for my kitchen.
Since I forgot to get a side dish for our Stroganoff Burgers, I decided to use some sweet potato fries I found in the back of the freezer. Since I didn't plan out my timing right instead of baking them, I decided to dust off our deep fryer and throw them in.
Maybe I should have paid attention to the ice in the bag.
The ice that caused the deep fryer to explode and spew hot oil all over the kitchen.

So I guess no beads for me this year....